This blog is my way of organizing thoughts and sharing my heart in my search for how to live a life of eternal value. It's an avenue for honesty and a platform for sharing about the good and bad experiences of life. My hope is that my thoughts might provoke more of your own and that the blog itself might serve as an open door for communication, discussion, and encouragement between those who know my incredible Savior and those who don't . ✞

Monday, August 9, 2010

stepping into HIS comfort zone

So I had an amazing day with my dearest girlfriends yesterday. We spent the day boating and getting thrashed around on the water. Since we are all at that point where we soon part ways for grad school and careers and such, it was so wonderful to get to spend a whole day together – kinda like one of our last hurrahs for a while.  
 

On the ride back from the lake, we got into talking about witnessing. Although our Christian college experience was wonderful, we all agreed that it left us in somewhat of a bubble. For me personally, it has been over 4 years since I have last vocally shared my faith with someone because I felt like practically everyone around me at school already had a relationship with Christ.  In reality, had I taken the time to truly search out His will, I am convinced that I would have been led to plenty of Naz student's who were not believers.  Moreover, I have a number of friends of mine from my past that I know need our Savior. Yet, I am terrified to tell them about Him. I am afraid to risk rejection. I say … “I wanna wait until the timing is just right.” But the Bible straightforwardly contradicts that:

2 Timothy 4:2Preach the word of God. Be prepared, whether the time is favorable or not.

We live in this world ruled by Satan, and it convinces us that it isn’t okay to “step on anyone’s toes” when it comes to “religion.” So instead, we play the card of “Well, I will share Christ with others through building relationships and being an example of Him,instead of making them uncomfortable by actually talking about salvation through Him.”  The Lord has really laid on my heart that I can’t rely on that anymore. I have to step out of my comfort zone, and step into HIS comfort zone if I am truly going to live to further His kingdom. I need to be vocal about my faith – to strangers and to people I love.  I have wrestled with the fear of losing friendships if I try talking about eternity and salvation through Christ with friends-- I have been afraid that they would be agitated or offended, and start avoiding me.  But that book I mentioned in an earlier post “One Thing You Can’t Do In Heaven,” made a great point: "If you are not eternal friends, are you really friends at all?"  I realize that if I truly care for a non-christian friend, my number one priority needs to be to one day see them in heaven.

I am preparing for some upcoming opportunities to share my faith with nonbelievers whom I care deeply about.  Please pray for me that I will have the courage to step out of my comfort zone and trust that the Lord will give me the words to say and demeanor to say them in. 

K thanks for reading.  Grace and peace

3 comments:

  1. This topic is what I was JUST discussing with my small group of girls here in Marietta.

    Why is it that witnessing to people is so hard. I know that I, too, shy away from it out of fear of rejection and of creating awkwardness. I often justify to myself that it is better to not be so open and upfront until that individual really knows you & can see you in their eyes as more than just a Bible-preaching weirdo. Give them a connection & things to hold onto in your relationship if the witnessing part goes downhill...
    But that mindset keeps me from ever witnessing at all. Because when you continually justify putting things off, it becomes a habit -- & every action or intentions gets pushed further and further.

    I love what you said about being a REAL friend and looking out for what actually matters. The best way that we can love other people is to care for them spiritually...
    We are lying to ourselves if we think otherwise or cop-out of it because we find it too uncomfortable.


    I want to thank you for making this blog & sharing your thoughts. You have an amazing heart, and I love that I can read this and understand you a little more each and every time. You are an encouragement to me - always have been - and I admire your passion and perspectives on life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree Laura. I'm at a point in my life where I've played the "I need time to first develop a relationship before I share the gospel", but the time we have with people is unpredictable. I want to grow in boldness because while we think most people don't want to hear it, I think we're wrong.

    Thanks for sharing your blog with me. Good words and thoughts :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really recommend the book I keep bringing up ... "One Thing You Can't Do In Heaven," by Mark Cahill. It really gave Ben & I a wake up call. I think you'd like it.

    And thanks for your thoughts guys :)

    ReplyDelete